No charges expected in March 17 crash that killed truck driver on I-526
NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCBD) – No charges will be filed after a transfer truck driver was struck and killed earlier this month on I-526 near the Don Holt Bridge.
The decision follows a thorough investigation by the North Charleston Police Department’s traffic unit, according to department spokesman Harve Jacobs.
An accident report from the agency states that a vehicle, noted as Unit #1, was traveling in the eastbound lanes of I-526 when a pedestrian, who was on the steps of their disabled truck’s cab, fell backward into traffic. They were then struck by the rear tires of Unit #1 as it passed.
The truck left the scene, police said. Officers later located the vehicle and the driver involved.
“Our Traffic Unit has located the vehicle involved in the collision on the Don Holt Bridge and interviewed the driver who is being cooperative,” said Jacobs in an update a day after the crash.
William Bennett, 56, from Summerville, was identified as the victim in that crash. The Charleston County Coroner’s Office said that Bennett died at the scene from injuries that he received during the accident.
Click Here for the Full Article
Author: Tim Renaud